Thursday, November 20, 2008

Sick Season

I got up this morning feeling slightly congested but not too bad. I went through my morning routine and took some cold medicine. About the time I got to work, I felt sick to my stomach. I was abruptly sent home.

The nice thing about my new job is you can actually take a sick day without being scrutinized for it. My previous employer, both in Alabama and Tennessee,looked at taking a sick as not being a team player. If you can walk you can work was basically the mentality. I'm not someone who calls in sick for any given reason. However, I am someone who thinks that working when you sick is bad for customer service and for getting better. Everyone at work told me that they didn't want whatever they had and sent me home.

Ironically, yesterday I got a flu shot hoping to avoid any major illness this winter. The flu shot was kind of awkward because I got it in a room with several tables and everyone could see you getting the shot. The problem was I was wearing a button down dress shirt. So for the nurse to get to my arm I had to unbutton most of my shirt in front of everyone there. Slightly awkward for me and the rest of the bank employees getting a flu shot yesterday.

So now I'm home laying in the bed with Taylor and Emma. I don't know if they can sense when you don't feel well, but they have been sitting with me since I've been home. It's kind of nice to have some company while Jen is at school.

I'm also revisiting watching some daytime tv. I was very disappointed to find out that my current cable package does not include the sleuth network. I was very excited to watch some Magnum PI, however that did not work out. I have watched a couple episodes of Las Vegas in between sleeping and being sick.

No comments: