Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day


I haven't blogged in a while, but I thought today was as good a day as any to write a new one.

Today is election day. One of the many great reason to live in the United States of America. Because, we as a nation have the right to line up every four years and cast a ballot for the candidate that we most identify with. No candidate is ever perfect, but everyone can find someone that they can identify with. If not you haven't done your research. If you still can't you can always right someone else in.

This morning I got up early and went to the polls to vote at 7am. There were a couple hundred of people in line. The wait wasn't too long and I really didn't mind it. I thought it was pretty cool how an election can bring everyone together and divide them at the same time. Everyone I was in line with had the same feeling of responsibility to vote for the next leader of America.

Election years bring out the best and worst of people. This year in particular the talk of politics in regular conversation has been worse than normal. By worse I mean more than there should be and more retarded than ever. Apparently radio DJ's are being considered a neutral form of information. I did not get any of my voting information from the morning radio talkshow.

Everyone seems to have an opinion on how the country would benefit from each candidate. I also have my opinions, but I try not to offer them unless asked. I don't care if other people vote how I do. I understand that voting is a personal decision people make and they have their own reasons for it. At times I've had to defend my decision of the candidate I'm voting for. However, that is a good thing. If you can defend the person you voted for that means you actually know why you are voting for them.

I didn't cast my vote half heartedly or just because of a party line. I looked at the issues that are important to me right now. When I voted for the rest of offices I didn't vote for a single party. I heard a conversation today that sounded like this.

"Did you vote for _________ for Judge"?
"Were they republican?
" I just voted for whoever was republican."

If that is what voting is for people, they would be better off just leaving that section blank. No single party or person has all the answers.

A lot of people worry about a candidate being some sort of tyrant and ruining the country. Last time I checked we have Congress and the Senate to regulate any tyrannical behavior. There is a stat that says city government is the most tyrannical of any form. I would definitely believe that.

So I did my civic duty today and casted my vote. I hope my candidate wins, but if he doesn't at least I did my part to get him elected.

No comments: