Saturday, July 19, 2008

Played a Fool

As most of you know a few months ago I changed jobs from the transportation industry to banking. After three solid months in the bank I can say that I am happy for the change. I like the hours, the type of work I do, talking with people every day and working in a more professional environment.

One of the main reasons I took the bank job was based on the amount of time I would have off. I would have more time in the afternoon/evening and I would be on a Saturday rotation to where I would only have to work one Saturday every 4-5 weeks.

I worked at my previous job for two years: first in Knoxville then in Birmingham. In Knoxville I worked several different schedules, but for the most part I worked 6-4 M-thursday and usually 6-12 on Fridays. It was one of the perks of being the senior guy in my position. So needless to say I loved having the afternoon and a three and a half day weekend. However, when I moved to Birmingham I was told that everyone in this district works one day out of the weekend. I was not thrilled about that, but being newly married and having a wife that was accustomed to eating hand having heating and air, I tolerated the change and gave up my Sundays for 5 months. Then it switched to me giving up my Saturdays and ultimately I gave up the Mondays I was told I would have off to work at a satellite location.

I made the best of the situation and went to worked and earned my paycheck. When I got the chance to change jobs I jumped at it. Before I left our district manager asked me point blank what it would take to keep me. I said the main thing I would want is time. Weekends off in particular. He said I can't guarantee you that because we are a retail establishment.

I say all of the above to tell you of an eye story I heard yesterday. A lady I works with has a son that works at the exact location I used to. The one where I worked six days a week and every Saturday until 3pm. I asked her what schedule her son was on. She tells me he works Monday through Thursday. I said excuse me, what is the fifth day? "He works monday through thursday for ten hours a day and they give him Friday, Saturday and Sunday off." WHAT? I put in a grueling year of weekends and holidays and leave only to find out the brand new guy is pulling three day weekends.

Do I think it will last? Not at all. The turnover is way too high for anyone to actually get to keep a good schedule. But still, how does that work. If anyone knows please tell me. I told the lady I work with that I was impressed and amazed he pulled off that schedule.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Wow, nice to know seeing as how we are fully staffed now, and I asked to just work Mondays-Fridays. Good to know that they'll give it to the new guy, but not to someone who's put in two years. Thank you for giving me another reason.