Sunday, July 20, 2008

That's Profilin and that's wrong

There have been a few times in my life when I have been moderately discriminated against. Typically they have happened in jewelry stores or car lots where people don't think I have the money to buy things. However, last night I think I uncovered a group of patrons that were being profiled and discriminated.

Jen's family is in town for the weekend. By family I mean her grandmother, aunt and two younger cousins that are ages 6 and 8. Last night we decided we would have dinner at a large chain Italian Restaurant. I won't name any names but it rhymes with the golive arden. We were told the wait for six would be 30 minutes which is average on a Saturday night.

Once we were seated in the restaurant I began to look around and notice one common factor around all the tables in our section. They all had multiple children under the age of 10. Some of the kids around us were loud and some were even screaming. Our family was one of the quietest in the area.

I think that the restaurant had purposely sat all the children in one area as not to disturb the other patrons. So, yes we were profiled at dinner. Since I grew up an only child and so did Jen we have never witnessed this injustice before. Even if you have quiet kids you are thrown in to a chuck e cheese like atmosphere for reproducing multiples. Coincidence? I think not.

No comments: