Wednesday, September 3, 2008

At Least I have the Open

As everyone knows, my coveted Volunteers failed to beat the UCLA Bruins on Monday. It's disappointing to see the game slip through the cracks in the fourth quarter. I give a lot of credit to UCLA's quarterback for not sucking up the second half like he did the first.

We can blame Lincoln, Crompton, Fulmer, or even Colquitt for being suspended but at the end of the day you win and lose as a team. Fulmer's career rests in the hands of college students. How many of us would want our salary and job security to rest in the hands of some 18-21 year old kids. In Zac's blog he made a nice reference to how these are just kids and they have so many eyes watching them and pressure from the entire state. We forget that in between practice they have to attend and pass their classes, because football is not a profession that 75% of them will pursue professionally.

Despite the tragedy of Monday night, I have found great joy in watching the US Open tennis tournament. I did grow up and play tennis for 11 years of my life, so I am biased on watching the sport. There have been a lot of great matches this year. I attended the open my senior year in college. I hope to make it back there one day.

I'd like to see Roddick come through and win the entire tournament. I know that is a tall order, but it's possible. If not Roddick then hopefully Federer can come beat Nadal and add another championship to his resume.

No comments: