Friday, May 16, 2008

Drought = better driving

Last summer when I moved to Alabama we were in a stage 4 drought. What this means is that the rainfall was way down for the year, and people had to limit and ration there water usage. They would fine people for watering there yard or washing there car if they were caught.

Unfortunately, this drought has created a chain reaction of bad events. The most notorious being the lack of ability to drive in the rain on Alabama roadway systems.

Yesterday, I got out of some training a little before 4pm. I was pretty excited to get off early and was excited to get home. The training center was about 15 minutes from my house so I was estimating an arrival before 4:15pm. WRONG - there was a moderate rain shower, but nothing I would consider major. It had been raining steadily all day though. When I turned on my radio I heard of 4 wrecks, and one of the interstates I had to merge on to was backed up for miles.

I don't know if people in Alabama can't drive in the rain, or if they think rain means to speed up and drive like an idiot. I'm not a great driver by any means, but I can drive in the rain. We used to get out for "flood" days in high school. So needless to say, I don't find the average rain shower that difficult to drive in.

Apparently in Alabama driving in the rain requires some type of advanced certification. Within 2 minutes of any rain shower the interstate system will undoubtedly be backed up and shut down.

I think a drought would be safer for the city than the rain.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Aside from the fact that I agree whole heartedly about alabamians driving in the rain, they typically aren't good drivers even when the roads are dry. Still waiting on a prescription...glad to see your surgery is going well.