Thursday, May 1, 2008

Up in Smoke


Wednesday on my lunch break I got a text from Kendall asking if I was okay because he heard my apartment was on fire. I told him I was fine but had not clue what he was talking about. About 10 minutes later, Laura from my old job called to make sure I was okay. It was about at this point I started to panic.

I kept hearing phrases like 60ft flames above highway 280, and that there were multiple fire units on the seen. Not stuff that makes you feel at ease while you are at Wal-Mart on your lunch break.

I called my apartment complex only to find out the fire was in the building above mine. At first they told me my building was only safe "for the time being." This concerned me and I continued to call until I was assured, building 5 was alright. My neighbor eventually called and let me know that her mom had gone to our building and everyone was safe.

This is probably one of the worse scares we have had. There are a lot of people left with nothing at all. Two of the people are in Jen's class, and they have lost everything. What if it had been our building? What about our stuff, and the cat? Yes, I'd even be worried about the cat.

Kendall kept me abreast of what the news was saying, and being the true friend he is offered to strap up and come down here to rescue Emma (the cat). There are three things in the world Kendall doesn't like, and cats are one of them. However, he was going to rescue ours.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people with no stuff and no place to live. I feel bad for these people and can't imagine what they must be feeling. I hope over the coming days/weeks we will be able to help them out. Either with food, or household items, or clothing. They will definitely remain in my thoughts and prayers.

No comments: