Wednesday, February 13, 2008

More college = More money

So today is Wednesday, known to some as hump day, and tomorrow is Valentine’s Day. Ironic, I think so.

Moving on, I went back to the DMV this morning. I got there at 8am right as they opened. To my surprise there were already 10 other “teenie boppers” in line in front of me. Two of which I distinctly remember from Monday. That gives me a complete feeling of safety while driving on the road. We share the roadway with 16 year olds who have taken there driver’s test multiple times in order to pass.

Then another thing disturbed me: The fact that I’m eight years older than these kids. These kids were born in 1992. I was in the fourth grade when they were coming in to the world. It’s frightening that I’m getting that old. College freshman were born in 1990. I’m practically a geezer compared to some of these kids.

Speaking of college, that’s some place I should have stayed a little longer. Jen is probably going to be doing an internship for Walgreens this summer making slightly less than I make now. Maybe those six months I was sitting on my couch watching Magnum P.I., I should have re-enrolled and taken some science or something. You can call these professional doctor students nerds all you want, but they got the system figured out. Specialize and make money.

I did not specialize, so I spent 10 minutes this morning trying to get a key into a frozen lock. I then had to relocate a moving dolly and pads that smell like something died on them into a storage unit in 17-degree weather. The highlight of the day came when a guy with no teeth, no money, and no license came in and told me he was going to be back for a truck. So on his word, I’m expected to hold a $40,000 asset in hopes that he may come in and try to steal it. The scariest part is my office is the one that is not in the ghetto.

1 comment:

Zac said...

As someone who books travel for all sorts of College Freshman I just wanted to inform you that they were in fact born in 88 or 89, not 90 (that's the high school seniors).

When are you coming back to Knoxville?