Sunday, April 27, 2008

Best part is the wrecks

Today marked a monumental occasion in Alabama. That's right, it was the day of the spring Nascar race in Talladega. People from all over flocked to Talladega to camp out for days to watch the race.

Let me further explain what I mean by camping. Sure some of the people have very nice RV's or tents that they stay in. But then, there are the creative fans. They featured a man on the news who converted a school bus in to an RV. Why spend the money on an RV when you can drive a big yellow bus to the race and set up a drink stand outside of it.

Along the same lines I had a man come in to my office when I was working in the trucking industry to inquire about purchasing a truck. I was explaining the benefits of the truck, when he finally interrupted me to inform me of his plans to convert the truck in to an RV. He explained how he would mount an air conditioner in the front of the truck, and was going to put a bed and refrigerator in their as well. Seemed like a costly project, when you could probably by an RV for the same price. Must be something about those big yellow trucks that people want to take them everywhere.

I have never been to a Nascar race so I can't judge the experience first hand. I've seen plenty of races on television, and I've found they are great for instigating my Sunday nap. I can't get in to watching cars drive around in circles. I hear its fun if you go, and I'm sure the redneck watching is prime. I imagine its kind of like going to the Wal-Mart. If you are feeling bad about yourself its a great place to go to gain some self esteem.

1 comment:

Laura said...

just dropping in to say hi. hope the new job is going well.