Sunday, March 9, 2008

Concept of Time

Most of America has a problem with concept of time. You can view this problem from many different aspects. My friend Jonathan says that a guys "football concept of time" is similar to that of a girls "getting ready concept of time." That basically equates to 5 minutes being 30.

To combat the time problem in my parents house, my dad has developed the AIS (ass in seat) system of travel. Above all other times the AIS time is when the car leaves the driveway. This doesn't necessarily work, but its a step in the right direction.

I have always been prone to the adjusting the actual time an event starts. If we need to be somewhere at 8pm, just say 7:30pm. Unfortunately Jen generally knows when this is going on, so my plan for time usually gets foiled.

In the industry I work in apparently set business hours mean nothing to customers. Yesterday at work I had a lady flag me down in our back parking lot almost an hour after we had closed demanding her truck.

Since I was still at work I gave her the truck, but her and her boyfriend never once acknowledged the fact they had showed up an hour after close, and three hours after their reservation. Once we got in the office the lady was quit unfriendly, her husband did not speak at all and they just stood in there like I was beneath them. No thanks, no nothing. I'm not looking for a pat on the back, but no other "retail" establishment is going to let you in after close. I think that is kind of the point of business hours.

The one thing about time I am incredibly happy about is daylight savings time. Today it will be light outside until 7:15pm and that is exciting. I can actually start running outside after work, and soon it will be 70s every day.

No comments: