Tuesday, April 15, 2008

What happened to AIM?

Most everyone I knew in high school used to get on AOL instant messenger (AIM) every night back in high school. Sure, some people talked on the phone, but there was something special about talking in text to 15 of your closest friends with those little text boxes all over your computer.

As most people, my “buddy” list grew over time, and any given night you could find a plethora of people on AIM. In high school, there were relationships that started out of instant messaging, friendships ruined because of copy and paste, and in some drastic cases you had the “instant messenger breakup.” Yes, I know a guy that broke up with a girl via instant messenger. Talk about being blindsided. I myself never engaged in the AIM breakup, however I did once go for the email. Not sure that is much better, but moving on….

After high school everyone gets to college where my generation first discovered the joys of broadband wireless. What this ultimately meant was that you could stay signed on to AIM all day and not tie up your parents phone line. And that is where the real popularity with the “away message” started.

The away message was tricky. You had to get it just right. For some it was a chance to show their friends from high school what cool thing they were out doing (i.e Gone to Blue Cats to see Copper, call me on my cell). Despite the fact that no one is going to call you on your cell, everyone could know that you had a life. The other popular tactic was to post a song lyric from your favorite band that no one has heard of yet. You know this way you could show everyone how deep and evolved you were becoming off at college. Your new hairstyle plus some emo acoustic friendly lyrics meant that you were not the same person you were three months ago.

Now, fast forward to three years after college and I sign on to my buddy list. There are 5 people out of 100 that are signed on. After all these years there are about 3 people I talk to on a regular basis on AIM. I still sign on when I check my email, just to see who is there. But for those of us in our mid 20s, AIM is a dying pastime. I personally blame the downfall of AIM on texting.

3 comments:

Christy Widener said...

Facebook is coming out with a new chat feature that is built into the website. Maybe it will create a resurgence of online talking since the facebook status has taken the place of the away msg.

Laura said...

hilarious.

Zac said...

Amazing my friend, truly an appropriate social commentary.

I also think it is ludicrous that people have to stay connected all the time.

I honestly think I'm going to start leaving my cell phone at home sometimes.

Z