Thursday, January 24, 2008

Bed Head

There are a few things in life I don't like doing for whatever reason or another. I don't like going to the dentist because of the sounds, and I don't like getting my hair cut. I don't know why, but since I was about 12 I have never been thrilled about having to get my hair cut. However, yesterday reaffirmed my despise of the hair salon.

Before I go in to that story, let me give you a brief hair timeline of myself.

Age 3 - 10 - Hair parted to the side, very little bangs, classic little boy hair cut

Age 11-14 - Bowl cut, or some variation of it. yes I was a tragic victim to this hairstyle.

Age 15 - 16 - Long shaggy hair - known to some as "frat hair"

Age 16 - 20 - The front spike/messed up look. Lots of product was consumed in those years.

Age 21 -22 - Got hair cut short, almost a shaggy buzz cut and then revisited the spike

Age 22 - Got hair cut short in May, did not get another hair cut until December.

Age 22-24 - Have had different variations between the "frat hair" and your normal parted cut with front bangs.

So that's my hair history. Yesterday, I walk in the salon, to a stylist that has cut Jen's hair but not mine. I tell her "I want it cut shorter, and I want a new style." Keep in mind hairdresser is slightly "punk rock" looking in appearance.

She asked if I want it spiked - "no, been there done that, I say."

She then proceeds to cut and cut and thin and cut and cut. Three inches was cut off plus not to mention how much she thinned it out. I'm okay with all of this it was kind of bushy looking.

At this point I'm thinking I'm gonna have a great new hairstyle. So then the cutting subsides and the product comes off the shelf. Some sort of spray wax. I'm no stranger to hair product so this was not an issue for me.

She proceeds to do something to my hair that I still don't know what happened. Messing and molding and smooshing my bangs flat against my forehead in some look that insighted I must have tattoos and scars. Basically, not the look I generally portray in my boat shoes and polo shirts.

So I go home thinking I can wash this junk out of my hair and fix it. I wash out most (not all) of this wax stuff and my hair is just funny looking. Uneven and jagged. I realize I'm a victim of salon sheering.

I think to myself maybe this will be better in the morning. This morning I thoroughly shampoo and attempt to style my hair. Once again I still feel remnants of the spray wax. I look up close in the mirror. The left side of my bans are 3 inches longer than the right side. So I go to sweep my hair over to the side as normal, and find that I have lop-sided bangs. Not just a little, but there is no fixing this. I'm obviously not going to style my hair like she had it for work, so I bust out some product and do the best I can. Needless to say, I'm still not thrilled.

I'm going back tonight to a different stylist to get things evened out. What is bad is the girl that cut my hair was super nice. I hope she isn't there because I don't want to hurt her feelings, but I was on the verge of shaving my head. Hopefully I can get the situation taken care of and resolved.

1 comment:

Lucky said...

Like I said before, "If you hair is too punk rock and modern, you're just too old."