Wednesday, January 9, 2008

College didn’t explain the “real world” very well

For the past year and half I have worked full time for the same company. I’ve worked in two different states, but at the end of the day I always draw the same conclusions.

Trying to explain to people what I do and why I had to have a degree to even get hired gets more and more confusing every day.

My current office is inside a store similar to a guitar center. It’s conveniently located beside the instruction rooms. This gives me the joyous opportunity to here butchered guitar versions of “Stairway to Heaven” as well as any Greenday song you care to think of. As if the guitar lessons were not enough on Thursdays there is trombone instruction. If you can imagine “Mary had a Little Lamb,” “Twinkle Twinkle, Little Star,” and “My Country tis of thee” all sounding exactly the same; you can put yourself into the musical hell I experience.

Everyone has peeves about their job. A certain task or phrase that you don’t care for. For me it’s people that demand a truck on the day of their move. Did they wake up this morning and say “I’m sick of this town I’m gonna go get a truck.” I doubt it. Moving isn’t something that just blindsides you, especially if it’s out of town or state.

So, the real world for me comes down to a few things. Checking my email compulsively at work, listening to bad instrument playing, being asked the same questions all the time, and explaining why despite a moving truck having large storage space in the box, you can't haul Mexicans in it.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I finally said something about working all the time. I can't decide if 280 is my break or my punishment? Oh well. Sorry to spring 28th street on ya.