Friday, January 11, 2008

Growing older but not up

With my 25th birthday just around the corner I realized that puts me about three years away from my high school reunion. I went to a moderately sized high school located in the suburbs. The reunion could be tragic or something out of a primetime sitcom.

First of let me say that I'm pumped for several reasons. I married a beautiful soon to be pharmacist; that means we'll be Mr. and Dr. Brooks. How awesome is that. Second, I won't have a 10 year old child to show pictures of at the reunion.

I only still talk to a handful of people from my graduating high school class. Therefore, I imagine I will be hanging out with them.

One of my friends is pumped about the reunion. He was in the band in high school and didn't have a very active dating life. However, four years later he married the head cheerleader. Not one of the cheerleaders that graduated and got big and lost their mojo. Nope, he married a skinny cheerleader and then got her pregnant. Emphasis on pregnant after married.

I hope to see lots of people that have done well with their lives. I know of several people that dropped a bunch of pounds that will be glad to have the tables turned on those that used to call them big. What I think is great is all the kids that probably got picked on, will be the ones with hot wives that run their own companies.

There are several people that probably made "colorful" decisions after high school. I suppose we'll find out if they are living in a van down by the river.

Donald Miller wrote that everyone should leave their home so that when they come back to it, they will appreciate it. Powell is definitely a town you need to leave so that you can realize it's charm. Of course, when I come back to town I mean Knoxville, probably the west part, and not the actual community that I grew up in.

There are many successful people that went to my high school. Some of them are nuclear engineers, insurance salesmen, scientist, in graduate school and doing a multitude of cool and interesting things.

I probably won't be one of these people since I want to be a stay at home dad and live off my sugar momma. Just kidding, well...kind of. I do plan on working, just not anything to time consuming, difficult, labor intensive, or on weekends.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I have a nightmare about going to a high school reunion; it's called hanging out with all those people again. If I cared about what they were doing now, then I would still talk to them...ahhh, always the cynic.