Sunday, January 13, 2008

Is everyone in Alabama named Jennifer?

We have lived in Alabama for six months now and almost every female we have met is named Jennifer.

My wife is named Jennifer as well as two of our neighbors. Another friend that we hang out with is also named Jennifer. This morning at church I met another couple and guess what the girl's name was - you guessed it Jennifer.

What is the infatuation with this name. I kind of like the fact that I hang out with people that all have the same name. There is not pressure to remember there names. Once in high school, I was trying to impress some girl and called her the wrong name. I'm really bad with names, so nothing worse than meeting the neighbors and then not remembering their names.

Then you do that thing where you call them guy or buddy, or you just say Hey, and pause hoping they respond. Or you can ask the other neighbors what their names are, but you've probably forgot their names too. It's a vicious cycle.

Nothing is worse than being called hey neighbor. It's like I'm giving you an adjective title, however I'm not making the effort to learn your name.

I guess I will relish the fact that people down here, hear a name and stick with it. I've also met two Steven's, two Beth's and more Matt's than I can count on my hands.

1 comment:

Lucky said...

I knew this one guy that was trying to talk to a girl. And his opening line to her was "Nice Shirt." No offense to this guy, but I think he would have been more succesful if he went ahead and called her by the wrong name.